Southeast Texas Urban Integrated Field Lab (SETx-UIFL) is one of four Urban Integrated Field Laboratories awarded in the Fall 2022 by the Biological and Environmental Research Program, Office of Science, U.S. Department of Energy. The Southeast Texas region, or the Beaumont-Port Arthur area, represent urban conditions and challenges similar to other Gulf Coast communities with industrial facilities, and population change with fewer resources available than larger cities.
Our mission is to better understand current and future impacts from flooding and air pollution in Southeast Texas and the Gulf Coast region using measurements, modeling, and community experiences and to co-develop applicable and equitable adaptation strategies with local partners.
SETX-UIFL team led by the University of Texas at Austin comprises members from Lamar University, Texas A&M University, Prairie View A&M University, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. We integrate expertise in hydrology, climate science, biogeochemistry, sociology, urban planning, and engineering with localized community knowledge.
- SETx-UIFL Members Joining the AGU23SETx-UIFL members joined thousands of other scientists at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) annual meeting in San Francisco, CA.
- Southeast Texas Urban IFL 2023 Annual MeetingThe 2nd Annual Meeting of Southeast Texas Urban IFL (SETx-UIFL) was hosted at Lamar University on October 8-10th. The annual meeting is where SETx-UIFL scientists and students gather to share the latest research updates and discuss collaboration ideas for the forthcoming years.
- Lamar University’s Center for Resiliency at the Tekoa Academy Tree Wrapping CeremonyOn Friday, September 29th, Tekoa Academy hosts a brief tree wrapping ceremony with green, blue and white ribbons, signaling Tekoa’s green zone. Davon Chargois, Lamar University’s Grants Manager from the Center for Resiliency was invited to speak to the junior and senior classes at Tekoa Academy.
- SETx-UIFL Joins First PI Annual Meeting for Urban IFL projectsFifteen SETx-UIFL members joins 2023 Urban IFL PI meeting in Rockville, MD. This marked the first annual meeting for the four Urban IFL projects, including CROCUS, SETx-UIFL, BSEC, and SW-IFL.
- Fast ForwardIn an interview with Dr. Michelle Meyer, Texas A&M principal investigator and Equity team lead, the SETx-UIFL project is mentioned in Spirit, the Texas A&M Foundation Magazine.